West Jefferson United Methodist Church was organized on April 20, 1921, with 12 charter members. Services were first held in the local movie house; however, an increasing membership and lack of proper lighting forced the young congregation to move to the school. The congregation continued to grow and the desire to build a permanent church structure was made. On October 24, 1925, the deed for the church property was registered and a small building was put up on the back of the lot and services were held there until the main building could be erected. It was built with brick hauled with horse and wagon over the mountain from North Wilkesboro and dedicated in 1934. In 1958 an education building was added.
In May of 2004, the church decided to build a new fellowship hall and renovate the sanctuary. The square footage of the original 1920's building and 1950's addition was doubled. The entire facility is handicapped accessible, and an elevator is available to access both levels of the facilities.
The Hensley Fellowship Hall, with a commercial kitchen, seats 300 people. It is named in honor of Jim and Lib Hensley who gave of themselves in many ways to the church, West Jefferson, and Ashe County. A music rehearsal room was also added along with a renovated sanctuary, nursery and entrance lounge. On the lower level are offices for the pastor and other staff, meeting rooms, classrooms, and children's and youth centers. A columbarium is located near the church's front entrance.
While a history of church property is one aspect of our heritage, the most significant dimension of who we are has come through the lives of generations of people in relationship to God and each other through faith in Jesus Christ. Through worship, fellowship, education and service, we have sought to make our witness to the community and world.
We hope that you will share in our experience of God's love by helping us to follow Jesus, make disciples, and help God transform the world.